"Bring Your Own Device" (BYOD) Transition Information
Darien High School students are required to have an approved device for use in classes.
Should any student have financial need, please reach out to your counselor. Families who do not qualify for a device based on financial need may request a school issued iPad for the year:
- Please fill out this brief Google Form to reserve your device.
- All current devices should be turned in at the end of this school year for inventory and updates.
- School-issued devices will be distributed to students when we return in the fall.
Recommendations and Suggestions
Please note: Students are not required to purchase a recommended model.
We provide recommendations to ease the ordering process.
- Apple MacBook Air 13-inch Apple M1 chip with 8 core CPU, 7 core GPU,
8GB unified memory, 256GB SSD storage
Apple MacBook Pro 13-inch Apple M1 chip with 8 core CPU, 8 core GPU, 16GB unified memory, 1TB SSD storage
DPS APPLE STORE HERE
APPLE HAS UPDATED BOTH THE MAC AIR AND MAC BOOK PRO WITH AN M2CHIP. THIS WILL NOT SHOW IN THE DHS APPLE STORE UNTIL MID JULY.
M1 MAC AIR IS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE ON OUR DHS APPLE STORE.
PLEASE SEE PREVIEW BELOW.
- Microsoft Surface Laptop Go - 12.4" - 1035G1 - 8 GB RAM - 128 GB SS
Microsoft Surface Laptop Go - 12.4" - 1035G1 - 16 GB RAM - 256 GB S
Acer Chromebook Spin 511 - 11.6" - Celeron N4120 - 8 GB RAM - 64 GB
Acer Chromebook Spin 311 - 11.6" - A6 9220C - 4 GB RAM - 32 GB
DPS PC STORE HERE
KNOW YOUR WARRANTY
All laptops should be purchased with a 3 or 4-year parts and labor warranty. The manufacturer’s warranty does not cover theft, loss, or damage. Batteries are typically covered for 1 year only.
INSURE YOUR LAPTOP
We highly recommend purchasing accidental damage insurance. This insurance covers most damage to the laptop, including screen replacement. Both the Acer models and the Microsoft Surface models offer two different additional coverage options.
Apple offers AppleCare+ which is limited accidental damage coverage. AppleCare is an extended warranty without accidental damage. We recommend AppleCare+ for all Apple laptops.
Third party companies offer separate policies that cover theft, in addition to accidental damage.
CONSIDER A REPLACEMENT
When your warranty expires, consider purchasing a new laptop. This ensures you have the most up-to-date hardware and software and that repairs will be covered by the new warranty.
- Backup your files weekly. Google Drive and USB flash drives work well for backing up school work.
- Loading excessive numbers of games, music, videos, or photos may negatively impact performance.
- Charge your device nightly.
- Restart your device weekly.
- When updates are available, be sure to install them to your device.
- Use of VPNs will hinder or prevent your device's ability to connect to our network.
Contact IT Support at Darien Support Helpdesk